On July 17, 2014, BRACE Law Firm and Center for the Study of the Normative Environment of Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology of the Faculty of Law of the National Research University Higher School of Economics held a joint round table on the theme: “Patent protection of medicines”.
Roman Shabrov, partner at BRACE Law Firm, moderated the round table.
The following speakers spoke at the round table:
• Pavel Sadovsky (Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners Law Firm, Senior Lawyer) on the topic: “Actual problems of patent protection of medicines”
• Vladimir Dementyev (Gowlings, partner, patent attorney of the Russian Federation) on the topic: “How will the changes in the Civil Code affect the patent protection of medicines”.
• Vladislav Ugryumov (Gowlings, partner; patent attorney of the Russian Federation, Eurasian patent attorney) on the topic: “Intellectual Property Protection in Pharmaceuticals: Patent Disputes”.
• Galina Sekareva (CJSC BIOCAD, Head of the Legal Department) on the topic: “Data Exclusivity as an Additional Way to Protect the Rights of Original Drug Manufacturers”.
• Dmitry Mazaev (NRU Higher School of Economics, Associate Professor) on the topic: “The principle of maintaining a balance of interests in the implementation of patent protection of medicines: theory and law enforcement practice”.
The role of discussion was made by:
• Dmitry Afanasyev (Division for the Analysis and Summarization of Judicial Practice, Legislation and Statistics of the Intellectual Property Court, Head of Division);
• Nina Belozertseva (Innovative Pharma, Director of Legal and Regulatory Issues).
After the speeches of the speakers and discussions, a general discussion took place on the legal issues of patent protection of medicines. The discussion was attended by representatives of the pharmaceutical industry, the academic community, public authorities, expert and consulting organizations, and the media.